Training Plan

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Tinkerbell Half Marathon

The medal is even more beautiful in person.
What a fun trip and race this was. I was able to go with Cyndie and her friend Sue. The drive down was very comfortable and the weather good. We were very fortunate with the mild winter weather. We stayed at a hotel right near Disneyland, which made going shopping in Downtown Disney, visit Disneyland, going to the expo and the race itself very convenient.
I bought a 3-day park hopper pass for Disneyland and California Adventure. I love to pin trade and so I was prepared with many pins I purchased on ebay to trade. Walking around both the parks for 3 days probably wasn't the best strategy for resting before running a half marathon, but I sure had fun doing it anyway.
Cyndie and Sue took a beach day and they also went to see "WICKED" the same evening.
On the carpet when entering the expo.
The expo for Tinkerbell was a lot of fun and very well organized. Lots and lots of vendors, I bought several running things for me and some gifts for Jan. At the expo I met Jeff Galloway for the first time. His run/walk method taught to me by Cyndie has made my running a very fun part of my life.
Jeff Galloway and me.
Race day is always exciting to see how a costume comes together and whether we will have any wardrobe malfunctions. The "wings" were quite the challenge but I still enjoyed wearing them. Here are all three of us race ready.
Cyndie very cute in her pink.
Me as Tinkerbell.
Sue wearing her colorful shoes.
   
The race went very well. A few wardrobe problems while running in the costume for the first time, but overall not too bad. I will make some changes for next year, I was a bit warm with the double shirt on. I struggled a bit during this race and Cyndie and Sue were gracious and we all stayed together.

Bib 5121 I finished this race in 3:06:12. The winner in my age group 55-59 was from West Jordan, she finished in 1:50:12. Yeah, people my age can run faster.

I am hoping to do this race again next year so that I can get this medal for running in Florida and California in the same year.
 

No comments: