Training Plan

Saturday, June 30, 2012

My Journey to Guiness

Yolanda Holder
"Walking Diva" walking my way into the Guinness Book of World Records
Yolanda Holder is a professional marathoner and the current Guinness World Record Holder for “Most marathons completed in a year”, finishing a staggering 106 marathons. She is also a devoted wife, mother of two, motivational speaker and author. Losing her father to diabetes and having a mother who is currently suffering from the disease has made a profound impact on Yolanda’s life. “One marathon, one step, one breath” is her motto and through those words and actions she works tirelessly to motivate and promote a healthy lifestyle through fitness for people of all ages. Finding your “happy” is her fountain of youth, and she hopes to help you find yours through her amazing journey.

MY JOURNEY TO GUINNESSThis is a review of a book by Yolanda. I met her for the first time at the Bear Lake Idaho Marathon. She is an amazing person. Her race walk is fun to watch, she just flows. When I found out she had written a book I just had to read it. I wanted to find out what had motivated her to do this and how she actually accomplished her goal. 
What struck me was the amount of sacrifice it took to reach this world record. Especially surprising to me was the number of times she slept in her car or went with no sleep. And one thing that totally amazed me was how many of these runs were actually ultra marathons! And to work the plan of marathon, after marathon, after marathon....even having backup plans if one was cancelled.
This is a great read, and I hope it will inspire you to run/walk your way to your first 26.2.

No comments: