Training Plan

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Sand Hollow Marathon

 
The hottest marathon of my marathon career.
Marathon Maniacs
When
This race
Running Sand Hollow
 The hottest marathon of my marathon career.

Some thoughts from a letter from Jason the race director:
Dear Runners,
Saturday night after a personal record of being awake for 36 hours ( I'm training for an Ultra so it's OK:) I finally couldn't hang on any longer and crashed at 6pm with a huge smile on my face.
I awoke at 2am and to my surprise was wide awake -my lovely wife (who can out-work anyone I've ever seen, and is a 'Hollow legend for her work on the race course each year) was awake as well. We spent over an hour exchanging tales about the fantastic runners we met, their stories and how much we love the the new friends we made.
We then took out pen and paper and wrote down things we could do better and ideas that we had for next year, we did this until 430am and then we drifted off to the lovely "after the marathon" slumber that only runners and race directors know of.
Each year the marathon fills my soul with inspiring performances and smiles of new, old and soon to be best friends. Only two years into the "Hollow I have been blessed to meet so many fantastic runners that I can hardly believe that I get to do this each year!
Every year each one of you leave a bit of your spirit, smiles, agony and pain along the course (and in some cases ecto-plasm and a bit of your cape) this settles into the pavement and builds the legend of the race. I feel it every year when you are gone, the course is alive for a few days after you all return to your homes.
I have a good friend who is a dynamic runner and even better human being who often talks (half joking and half serious) with me about the "gods of the marathon" and how as runners and race directors we need to have respect for the sport and the event. As you know the marathon is ancient and full of legend, I like to think that we are building a legend here at Sand Hol low and in doing so we we appease the marathon gods.
On Saturday I believe that the marathon gods smiled down upon the  Sand Hollow Marathon and blessed us, the weather was fantastic! Last year we had 8 hours of rain and at the end of the race it was 38 degrees! Wow! This year an interesting thing happened; when my last two runners came in ( One with a broken toe and holding hands,and a few tears (from me) it was calm. Less than five minutes later the wind started at 20-30 mph, and it got really nasty for about an hour. How lucky we were! Thank you marathon gods!
I want to most of all thank you- the runners for coming and supporting the Sand Hollow Marathon. I form an amazing bond with my runners and consider them family. I have vivid memories of my 'Hollow friends running with stress fractures in their toes and legs, injured and in pain -yet finishing strong and touching my life. - Thank you.
I watched as many first-timers cro ssed the finish line and became a new person, while inspiring their family, friends and children to greater heights -Thank you.
I watched as the veterans pushed themselves to over 50 marathons, over 100 marathons, and incredibly over 200 marathons- Thank you.
I watched a band of brothers push themselves to the brink so that we could have a good laugh and smile on our faces - Thank you.
I watched the 'mommas do it again and bring a few more friends and brighten up the course. I met two really cool California girls, a Tar heel, a Duck, a few Longhorns and even a Rhode Islander who took a moment to leave a bit of his imprint on our course. -Thank you.
I saw Elite Athletes push themselves, befriend each other, run a great race and then stick around to cheer other runners on.- Thank you.
I saw a few runners cross the finish line with tears in their eyes, and I felt that. -Thank you.
I watched parents transform into heroes in the eyes of their children.- Thank you.
I saw tough men with tattoos get a little tougher and maybe, just maybe I thought I saw a tear fall from their chiseled faces. Thank you.
I saw some folks in the back of the pack (were the real race is) gut it out and find out what they are made of. Thank you.
I watched many of you destroy a hill that did not destroy you. Thank you.
I watched two crazy super-hero guys make everyone happy with their amazing ability to run, joke, testify of shoes and fight crime? all at the same time. Thank you.
(those of you who know me realize how incredibly hard it was for me not to "suit up" and run with Zero and Drop:)
I watched 189 friends come into my life and enrich my soul. Thank you.
OK, so I realize that it's almost time for a group hug, and I'm sure everyone is feeling the love right about now- but wait, it gets better! My parting gift to all of you is free,
yes F-R-E-E photos of your race.
All you need to do is go to http://www.runningguru.com/Index.asp Create an account (takes like 15 seconds) and then you can download all the free photos your little lactic acid filled hearts desire! Use the code "sand" at checkout  and your order will be free! Sand Hollow's way of saying; We Love you!
Please come and run with us next year, please post your photos on Facebook, drop me a line if you wish, and keep on running!
See you next year at the 'HOLLOW !

-Jason
 

No comments: