Training Plan

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Shamrock Half Marathon

This year, when I was looking for a race to do on St. Patrick’s Day I decided that I was going to try the hills I’d heard about in this race. Last year on this weekend I was running in Moab in the Canyonland's Half Marathon. I really enjoyed that race but they don’t offer a finishers medal and so I’d opted not to try the lottery this year.
Half Fanatics Marsha & Angie goin' green.
Flat Angie
Mother Nature was threatening rain today, and so I was prepared that I might get wet. I was excited to run today because I’d spent a lot of time working on my green costume to run in. As you can see, Angie also spent a lot of time working on her green running outfit. One thing that Angie does that is so fun is she lays her outfit out and then takes a photo of it. She calls the photo "Flat Angie."
This race was a small, but was well organized race put on by Fleet Feet Sports in American Fork. Picking up my race number and awesome long sleeve race shirt was easy. The start was near the parking so I just waited for the race to start in my van.
When I saw Angie arrive I got out and put on my race belt to run. Also, I knew we would want to take a "group" picture of the two of us Fanatic/Maniac.

Lots of runners wore green today.
This wasn't my best race, it wasn't my worst. There were a lot of hills in the course, and it didn't take long for the wind to come up. Much of the time since we were running east and west the wind, which was blowing from the north didn't bother me too much. But when it was blowing right at me there were times it felt like I was hardly moving.
Shows the stormy weather making the wind.

Since I am slower runner than Angie I ran this race pretty much by myself. I decided to run my last mile in with no run/walk when I saw that it was downhill to the finish line. My visor flew off twice this last mile, strong wind and more traffic.
Running into the finish!
The coolest thing, Angie waited for me to welcome me into the finish line. Thanks Angie. What a great way to start the day!
Shamrock Half Marathon Finishers
Race stats:
First mile 11:31
Last mile 10:13
Elevation gain: 768 feet
Time:  2:47:46.6

No comments: