Training Plan

Monday, October 10, 2011

Coming Up This Week - SoJo Half Marathon

This race will be a milestone marker for me. Last year I ran the SoJo 5K. It was really tough for me to run just 3 miles. I was a poor runner, no endurance, and it took all my energy to finish. It was painful. And now this year, I will be running the half marathon, more than 4 times further than I could hardly do last year - and if timing of other races had been better I know I could have run the full marathon. A weak performance can be changed - even at my age.
Like last year, the guys at work and their families are participating. Jan will be doing the 5K again, he got a free entry because he took 1st place in his age group in the Clydesdale class last year. Mike, Lafe and Brian are all running the 5K and some of their children are running the Children's Marathon: a 1/2 mile run around the park. It should be a fun morning.
My friend Cyndie is running the full marathon, and it is not an easy course. I am very glad that I pulled out of that one because I have Ragnar the following weekend.
Race support: Aid stations at miles 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, &12 with water and gatorade. Port-o-Potties at the starting line, miles 4, 8 & finish line.


Schedule of events for all races:

October 15, 20115AM Marathon and Half Marathon buses begin running from West River Front Park to take athletes to various starting lines. There is no parking or spectators at the starting lines, so please be on the bus!
5:25AM Last Marathon bus leaves from finish line for the starting line. DON'T MISS IT AND DON'T BE LATE!
6:00 AM Last Half Marathon bus leaves from the finish line to the starting line
6:45 AM Marathon pre-race meeting, final instructions and national anthem
7:15 AM Marathon start
7:15 AM Half Marathon pre-race meeting
7:45 AM Half Marathon Start
7:45 AM 5k pre-race meeting, final instructions and national anthem
8:00 AM Start of 5k
8:30 AM Beginning of finish line party. Get a massage!
9:00 AM 5k Awards Ceremony
10:00 AM Kids Marathon starts
10:30 AM Half Marathon Awards Ceremony
1:15 PM Road course closes. All aid stations, volunteers and officers removed from the streets. Any remaining athletes who have not at least reached the Jordan River Parkway Trail will be asked to sag forward to the trail.
1:45 PM Finish line closes.
2:15 PM Marathon Awards Ceremony

No comments: