Training Plan

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Pink Series Park City Half Marathon

...girls just wanna go run.

Today I ran with 700+ women in the "pink" down the rail trails of Park City. It was a very difficult race for me, right now I am happy to be home sitting on the couch. Number 7 is in the books. So what happened? What went wrong? Maybe I should say what went right first: I finished!!! That is always good. And I finished it running. A big plus.
Finishing my 7th half marathon for the year.
And more positive things: Jan came with me and we spent a nice overnighter at the Newpark in Park City. The room was nice with a cozy fireplace.
The main "pain" for me was the cold. I love running in the cold, but the problem was the duration of time that we waited after the buses dropped us off at the start line. It was about an hour and a half. I did not realize that my calves were getting that cold and it would effect my running so drastically.
The first part of the course was a gentle uphill with a headwind and my calves just stung. I didn't know if I'd be able to keep that up for 13.1 miles. They really hurt. I was wearing long pants and also compression socks. It took a full 3 miles until they finally stopped giving me a lot of pain. I need to remember to wrap my legs next time I am forced to wait in the cold.
What else went wrong? Well, I took my ipod out of the suitcase for some reason and forgot to put it back. So, no enjoyable music to run to - also no distraction from pain. Yeah, I hope to never forget that again. And my camera was with my ipod. I used my phone but that was much harder to use.
got pink?
Clothes: I had brought several "pink" choices and waited until I got up in the morning and checked the weather to see what the temps were before I dressed. Since it was cold I opted for long pants (with my pink skirt over) and a long sleeve shirt. Yeah, pink.
All set for 5:15am wake up call. Yes, I woke up at 5am
before the alarm went off. Sigh.
The other thing I goofed up was breakfast. I didn't check and this hotel had no continental breakfast. So I ate a banana and a bar. During the run I got hungry, and Gu does not get rid of hunger pains.
Celebrate my sister Nancy Berry.
Celebrate a friend Debbie Lean.
Celebrate a friend Jeanne Nixon.
Celebrate my friend Mony Likes.
Memory of my friend Katherine Larson.
Memory of my Grandma Gathe.
Memory of my friend Colleen Anderson.
On a positive note, I was running so fast my dedication cape flew off and I didn't realize it. (The running fast might be a bit of a stretch.) This was the most important part of my run for today, honoring those who I know who have been effected by breast cancer or have lost their lives to it. I got my cape back when they did a clothing sweep of the course. I was very, very thankful.
It's over, I survived, and the scenery was beautiful.
All the runners I met were very nice. The promised good looking "Fab 4" were at the finish line. I got my Pink Series charm and some great chocolate cupcakes.

Official Time and Placement:
3:03:22.7
Age group placement 10th
Overall placement 607th

Garmin Says:
Fastest mile: 12:39
Elevation Gain: 346 ft
Elevation Loss: 590 ft

No comments: