Training Plan

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Extreme Makeover: Marathon Lifestyle

Well official first day of the 25 week program starts tomorrow. I am excited. Many changes to make. It won't happen overnight, but gradually... hopefully I can sneak the mileage in on my body without it noticing too much. Yeah right. Well it was a thought anyway. Too late to escape now body, I am a marathoner.

You are probably thinking I've already been running, which is true. But I have been able to pull off 3 miles with not a whole lot of practice. This will be different. No cramming for the final will work. This is a whole lot of 5K's in a row.

In one of her serious moments, Dawn Dais says, "Keep in mind the new habits you're forcing on yourself aren't just a good idea- they are habits that will literally make or break your entire training. And if you're going to bother to venture off your recliner, you may as well bother to do it right."

Extreme Makeover: Marathon Lifestyle

The Day
The daily routine must stretch to include running and cross-training.
Get creative.
Find what time of day works:
"Regularly Scheduled Time of Movement" it can become part of my routine. It has before, it can again.

What happens EVENTUALLY.... "you wonder what you used to do with all the time you now spend running." Got a little caught up in TV lately. That has to end. Gotta go to bed early. Tonight the snow covered the dish. Easy choice.

The Food
Best part of marathon training is food food food. And carbs are on the list.
You have to take in a lot of calories the more the distances and times increase.
And MOST of the time they have to be good ones.
And lots of water. Easy for me I am the water queen. I actually rarely drink anything but water.
And once in awhile Dawn recommends the "I so deserve this" reward meal. You know what I'm talking about, you can taste it now.

The Energy
"Training turns your lifestyle upside down and is a tremendous undertaking. But your energy level increases to meet your body's need. Instead of feeling exhausted after a run, you'll often feel recharged." Dawn Dais

I thought this was funny what Dawn says about the Long Runs: "Every week they wait for me, these long runs, and I can see them in the distance throughout the week, as I begrudgingly make my way closer to the dreaded Saturday."


I am hours away from my training start line. I'm ready.



No comments: