Training Plan

Sunday, November 21, 2010

My Reasons: CHAPTER two homework

Time to present to myself at least one very very good reason to do what it takes to complete a marathon:

REASON:

I'm going to run this marathon because I paid $75 to enter.
Exhausted on a bench counterargument:
I've made much more expensive mistakes than $75 worth. I can afford to loose that much.

REASON:
I have family members and several friends who think I can do this.
Exhausted on a bench counterargument:
If they are family and true friends they will love me no matter what I do.

REASON: In the past I have enjoyed challenging myself with difficult goals.
Exhausted on a bench counterargument:
Haven't I done enough difficult goals. Maybe I should choose something less physically demanding. Something more suited to an 8 times grandma. Like learning to sing? At least I could be out of breath while standing in place.

REASON:
I'm going to do this because at my age this is my last chance to get in shape.
Exhausted on a bench counterargument:
I think I already use this reason to "get in shape" for sprint triathlons? What more do I need to prove to myself? Out of 3 people in my age group I got 3rd place in my first triathlon!

REASON:
In my dreams while sleeping I run and I like it and I'm good at it.
Exhausted on a bench counterargument:
Yeah, that says it all, in my dreams.

REASON:
I can run it in honor of my sister, Nancy, a now 5 year breast cancer survivor.
Exhausted on a bench counterargument:
I did already honor her a couple of years ago by actually not walking but running the
Susan G. Komen for the Cure, my first ever 5K in 45 minutes! She should be happy with that.

REASON:

I could run a marathon like many others do, as a fundraiser for a cause I believe in.
Exhausted on a bench counterargument:
Except for the fact that I dislike asking for donations maybe more than I don't like running. How would that work?

REASON:
To have a runner's body and happy running attitude.
Exhausted on a bench counterargument:
Believe it or not, this is a get off my butt motivator for me. I want to be slim and in shape because I have a vague memory of how it feels and it tends to enhance all areas of my life. And as I age I am finding I need more and more enhancers.
Also I can travel lighter because my clothes are smaller, so I can take more stuff in my carry-on luggage, like running shoes. Plus taking a little weight off my body is definitely cheaper than buying something else expensive made of carbon to keep me riding light on my bike. And attitude, well I look at all the smiling runners and wonder if that could be me. It would make less wrinkles on my face than the tortured look I'm wearing now.

REASON:
I could run in memory of my mom, she was so courageous during her battle with leukemia. It was inspiring how hard she fought because she knew her family here on earth wasn't ready to let her go. Looking back I realize she protected us from the truth. Also she didn't complain, except about hospital food but that shouldn't count. Most of all she kept her unique sense of humor until her passing- something I just can't help but admire.
Exhausted on a bench counterargument:
How can I argue. What a great lady to honor with a marathon run.

I am counting on my last two reasons get me through the toughest times, and my other reasons actually hold a lot of motivation for me too. I'm hoping that they "don't crack under pressure" of all the training I need to do.






1 comment:

Alicia said...

Always gotta make a girl cry with you last reason...sigh