Training Plan

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Practicing for the Utah Human Race

What did Winnie the Pooh call it? A blustery day? That is today in the Salt Lake Valley. A storm has moved in but the temps are still in the high 40's. This week I have been on my beginning training program, getting ready for another 5K, the Utah Human Race in Draper. The race proceeds go to the Utah Food Bank. Jan is also entered in the walking division.

I emailed my sister Nancy that I was writing a blog so she would come take a look. She replied what does the 26.2 stand for? I said, "26.2 miles is the length of a marathon. try to stop laughing cause i think i just wanna cry. how crazy am i?" I love her so much, this is what she replied, "Not laughing at all. I’m very proud of you and I know you can do it. Just as your blog indicates, when you’ve asked yourself 'can I?' and given yourself that challenge, you come through. This is no different."

So this week I have been jogging on the Jordan River Parkway Trail. Behind the house. Easy to get to. Tuesday I made it to a little before the walking bridge (WB) at 11400 S. (I just remembered there were a few walking steps that popped up during the jogging part.) Then walked to the highway bridge (HB) and back to the stopping point and jogged all the way home. I overdressed. Wanted to try out my new coat. Coat came off pretty fast and gloves soon after. I am a hot jogger! Take that any way you like.

Thursday I did so not want to go. But after visiting teaching, which hopefully brings blessings of increased energy, got dressed and at 4:30 off I went. The wind was blowing... nice on the the way out but on the way back not so fun. I jogged to the WB, then walked over the WB a little ways then back to the WB for an non-stop jog home.

Now we are to Saturday! The blustery day where the wind has picked up significantly. I could swear wind was out of the north on my way out and switched to south on my way back. At times I felt like one of those slow motion movies. Or a bad dream where you don't get very far. Very peaceful tho, saw a pretty doe. A few joggers out and some dog walkers. Ran past the WB this time and around the HB at 11400 S. and then back on the trail towards home. Wind in my face. A fellow jogger with the wind at his back comments to me it is easier running if I go the other way. Thanks buddy, but how the heck will I ever get home? No walking today. Ran 50 minutes.

BTW, don't air out expensive running socks when you have 4 dogs in the house, they don't work so well with a 2" hole in the bottom. Just put them in the laundry basket. I guess they didn't notice the 60 or so dog chew toys I have all over the house.

4 comments:

Alicia said...

"Thanks buddy, but how the heck will I ever get home?" Made me laugh! Keep up the great work Mom! I can hear your voice as I read your words. You are an excellent writer. Love you!

Adrienne said...

I love reading your entries so far! I definitely think that you are a "hot jogger". Just think of how hot a runner you'll be! Miss you!

Marsha said...

Thanks Alicia & Adrienne for your comments. Nice praise from two experienced bloggers.

Anonymous said...

Go, Marsha, Go!!!