Training Plan

Friday, June 10, 2011

Run to Salt Lake

I am so excited. This weekend I am running a half marathon. Yeah, I know I've done that. 3 times but who's counting (me). This one is special because of an "EASY" surprise I got a couple of months ago. So Alicia tells me she has a surprise for me. It will arrive in the mail. She sent me a beautiful Miche purse. Then she tells me I have another surprise. So she links a graphic of the "EASY" button to my blog. I click on it. It takes me around to various web pages until I arrive at the page where if you have entered the Utah Valley Half Marathon you can type in your name and confirm your entry. I thought, well I know I am entered, no way, oh my gosh she did not do this to herself, YES she did! I type in her name and up came:
Utah Valley Marathon, Half Marathon, & 5K - Participants
First NameLast NameCityStateCountryAgeGenderCategory
Alicia Witt Surprise AZ US 31 F Half Marathon

Fast forward to the present. Flying to Utah on Southwest Airlines to run the UVHM. Alicia was detained at the airport screening because of the metal plates and screws in her ankle. This caused her to miss her flight and put her on the standby list. The next flight was full, and the next flight out was to Las Vegas which had a possibility of getting into Salt Lake so Alicia flew to Vegas.
In Vegas the first flight went out full. There were two standby passengers left behind. The other standby passenger went up to the desk first, and after talking to the person at the desk, began a brisk walk down the concourse. Alicia went up to the desk then. She was told the next flight out was at the other end of the concourse, it left in 15 minutes. It had ONE seat left. Who ever was there first would get it. Key word, FIRST.
So with her running shoes already on her feet she started sprinting for the other flight! She hit the moving sidewalk at a fast pace, and when she blew past the other standby passenger the lady was saying, "Hey, I heard about it first!" Alicia never looked back, she just kept on running. The gate attendant was handing her a boarding pass when the other standby passenger arrived at the gate. She put up a fuss, but the guy at the desk said "it looks like she deserved it." He scanned her boarding pass and on to the plane she went.
What a great way to start the half marathon adventure with a first place win in the airport!
Winner of last seat race.

1 comment:

Alicia said...

Winner winner chicken dinner!