Training Plan

Sunday, August 21, 2011

South Valley Half Marathon


Time for another half marathon. 35 years ago today I was having a baby. Neal Richard Mestas. I think this is easier today, certainly shorter. And recovery time is better too. No stretch marks. But no great son afterward. That birthday wasn't so bad after all. Love you Neal the peal.
Ready to run the South Valley Half Marathon.
Today I got first place in my age group. I just looked up the results, I am the only one in my age group! Too funny. I am still proud of how the race went for me. It was not an easy one. 


This scenic, down-hill course begins up beautiful Rose Canyon in Herriman.  Athletes will enjoy a gradual decent though wooded foothills.  A spectacular view of the Wasatch Mountains promises to inspire every runner.  You will experience a fun-filled, well-supported course though the South Valley.  The race ends in SoDa Row, the quaint shopping district in the Daybreak Community, located near Oquirrh Lake.  It's the perfect ending to the perfect race.  Tell the family to meet you there, and to pack a picnic.


The "downhill course" that was advertised and that I signed up for turned out to have a four mile hill in the middle of it. I ran the last 3 miles fast like the first 3 miles and my fastest mile.... the last one at 11:11. That is pretty cool.
Morning view of Rose Canyon.
The morning bus ride was early so alarm was set for 4:25am. The temperatures were a lot warmer than I expected, especially at the top of the canyon. It really didn't feel colder up there. Luckily I went to the restroom when we first got up there because they did not have enough. The lines became long and soon people had to get out of line because the race was starting.
A few of my friends from the Wasatch Walkers were there, Nancy, Shelly, Gina and Diane. And a Desert Shark friend Courtney getting ready for the St. George Marathon. And another friend from Dr. Hall's office Nanette used this run as part of her 50 mile training day. This proves there are greater levels of "Only Half Crazy."
The views after the hill.
This race was done with a gun start time. This means everyone had the same start time no matter what time they ran over the "start line" which we did not even see. Since it was a small race this wasn't too critical, but I prefer a chip time. Cyndie and I had set a goal to conquer the hill. That one we didn't sign up for. LOL. Cyndie is tapering her training for a full marathon on labor day in Pocatello, so really this day should have been an easy 10. Especially, since 2 weeks ago was a century bike ride (107 miles) and last week was her 20 miler. It was important for her to not go "half crazy" because in two weeks she will be running that 26.2. 
Cyndie rocks another half.
Not fully recovered from the activities she has been doing, Cyndie needed to take the hill slower and so she sent me on ahead. So off I went to run my race. The hills were hard, and I could really feel them. I am glad I have been running hills around my house. When I got to the downhill part of the course again I was excited because, well, it was downhill. I just tuned into the music and ran. I also enjoyed the aide stations, and I was in need of aide every station. I used the Heed drink, water and Hammer Gels to keep me going. It was a little warm but with the breeze it helped me to not get too hot. I stuck with the plan. Run 2 minutes, walk 1 minute.
My 6th half marathon and Cyndie is on number 23.
My official race time for Bib 83: 2:45:55.2  Pace 12:35  1st place age group 55-59.
Cyndie official race time for Bib 55: 2:59:41.3


Marsha caught unaware she has taken
first place in age group of one runner.
Mile1 11:25
Mile2 11:27
Mile3 11:50
Mile4 12:15
Mile5 13:06
Mile6 13:59
Mile7 14:25
Mile8 14:31
Mile9 12:18
Mile10 12:32
Mile11 11:24
Mile12 11:42
Mile13 11:11.
Elevation gain 487 ft.
Elevation loss 1,341 ft.

No comments: