Training Plan

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Bike Adventure on the Jordon River Parkway

One of the parks along the ride.
Today, since my long run with Cyndie was cancelled I decided to go bike riding. I wanted to ride to Salt Lake on the Jordan River Parkway. I decided to go down to the Winchester Park in Murray to start from. We run there for our long runs because of all the restrooms along the trail. I slept in, so I didn't arrive at the park until 8:30am.
Lots of activity at this trailhead. The Sojourners Running Club was there with an aide station, they were supporting running practice. There were also a lot of bikers and others. It was one big party by the time I arrived. Got the bike off the rack and off I went.
Golf course with the water park in the background.
As I rode the familiar parts of the trail I spent some time looking at the "green" areas, thinking maybe it would be fun to walk with Jan and the dogs off the paved path sometime. It was fun as I got further to see new areas, many less busy than that trailhead. Saw a volunteer crew out working and cleaning up one of the trailheads. It looked really nice. The trail takes you through a golf course, by several parks, by a horseback riding stable, near the Trax home base, by a couple of schools and a several lower income neighborhoods where I kept seeing lots of gang tags all over stuff. 
This is a house right at the end of the trail in Salt Lake.
From here I couldn't figure where to pick it up again.
I rode all the way to West Temple, but the trail actually ended before then. I was trying to find where to pick it up but decided that it was getting late and that I should head back for my work party in Lehi. 
Wildlife and animals today: ducks, cats, dogs, birds, horses and two snakes. 
Stats for the ride:
Distance 30.26 miles
Moving time 2:49:14
Average moving speed 10.7 mph

No comments: