Training Plan

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Run Pretty Far

There is a blog post that is very appropriate for me, maybe it can help you too if life seems like a big ball of stress. I found it when I was purchasing some very pretty gaiters to wear on on trail runs or hiking to keep those pesky rocks and stickers out of my shoes. They have really cute armwarmers and other items too. Check them out.
This quoted text comes from the blog off the runprettyfar website. It was posted by Jenn. Here is some of what she had to say. To see the whole post go to:
http://www.runprettyfar.com/uncategorized/patience-perspective-pleasure/
"One of the main reasons I go back to running again and again is it helps me get slow very quickly. What? My body gets to move fast, but my mind and heart finally slow down. I think many people use yoga to find this inner calm, but I’m the gal in the yoga class fidgeting through the breathing exercises wondering when we will get to the ‘real workout’.  Patience is not my virtue. Got an idea, let’s do it. Sounds great, let’s go. Need to think about it, what’s your problem? Looking backward? C’mon Sally –the future is now. Let’s run, let’s hurry, let’s make the world spin our way.
And often, if you have a kind heart and a captivating smile and beg and say please and meet just the right people, the world does cooperate. But, sometimes it simply does not. You do everything short of stomp your foot (and sometimes even that), but life simply says no. There have been a lot of those ‘no’ moments lately with RPF. Patience, patience, patience.
Another reason I run is perspective. Good Lord, what is it with these P words this today.
This morning as Greg and I ran Juneau (our new dog), I started my tirade:  I can’t run, the long sleeves are late, what if no one likes them, I am not a fashion designer, what am I doing?!, we need to work out more – we’re getting flabby, oh and the trees need to be cut back.
Yes, I know how petty the above list sounds. The sad thing is this was only about half of it. Greg gently reminded me that we also need to fix the Palestinian situation today….I laughed and of course that broke my rant. It always does. Perspective.
It wasn’t the run itself this morning that gave me much needed perspective, but the trappings of the run. Being so blessed to be out on a Monday morning in the cool fall air, walking with someone who patiently waits for me when I am slow and catches up to me when I am fast, watching the dog take such great joy playing in the grass, and having that sacred time to re-connect. Gratitude and perspective on how extremely lucky I am.
As long as I am on a ‘P’ kick… I want to share one more little vignette with you. Pleasure.
This summer I ran an informal 50K called the 12 Summits with some acquaintances who needed nighttime training for an upcoming 100miler. We started at 8pm and wrapped up around 6am. Through the night we ran 31 miles and 8,500 feet of elevation with shared flashlights , sandwiches, and stories. One of the woman in the group was about my age, is a real whipper snapper financial analyst by day, and chews up 100 milers on the weekend like most women run 5k’s. It would be super easy to be intimated by her, or jealous of her successes, or make all kinds of excuses for why she can do these things and I can’t. But instead I took a beautiful lesson from her….
Sometime around 3 in the morning as we headed up one of many gravel fire roads, I watched Sara running ahead of me…she trotted easily up the hill, not seeming to notice the incline, and I heard her humming sweetly to herself with her hand outstretched to feel her skin brush through the wild grasses that grew tall next to the road. Pure, tactile, childlike pleasure.
So often we push too hard and put grown up expectations on the run… Faster, longer, more calories burned!  Run like a child (through the night if it pleases you) and your joy will come right back. I know this, I preach this….but oh! to practice it is not always as easy. Thank you Sara for this visual that I can draw on when I need a reminder…
Patience, Perspective, Pleasure…Here’s hoping your day includes at least one."
Xoxo, Jenn

Wow. Jenn has some great thoughts. Lately I have missed running with Cyndie. I've had no one to do my personal "tirade" with to get it out. LOL. Is this a girl thing? I am impressed that Alicia can find some of her peace doing the yoga with Jerrie. I haven't been able to slow down enough to even try to do the yoga I learned.

No comments: