Training Plan

Saturday, September 10, 2011

From The Dog’s Perspective



A former camp cook, Pat also writes poetry. When asked to write a poem about camp by the camp director Lori, here is what she came up with:


From The Dog’s Perspective
To the forest - away! To the lake! Let me play!
I must chase a squirrel up a tree!
Enough urban strife! I want more out of life!
Take me to where I can run free!
Leave my leash at home! I’m longing to roam!
Fetching sticks in the cool mountain air!
Let me lie in the shade in some piney glade -
Have the breezes to ruffle my hair!
Hear the coyotes at night! What an eery delight!
Stirs primitive instincts awake -
Part of me longs to be so wild and so free,
And howl at the moon by the lake!
But the city’s my home and ‘tho I long to roam
I must be good and obey.
In dog parks we play - which I guess is OK,
But I dream of Camp W. all day.
When the pavement gets hot, my owner gives thought
To head for the place I adore.
With a car full of gear we drive out of here
And go straight to the Lake Tahoe shore.
My dog friends can’t wait for our annual date!
We swim and we hike and we run!
We read the “pee mail” and smile with our tail!
Dog camp is the ultimate fun!
Now you know how we feel when we’re walking at heel,
And obeying your wish and command.
While your slippers we’re fetching, we’d rather be catching
Frisbees with our pals in the sand!
Pat King, September 2011

No comments: