Training Plan

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Change in Hike Plans - Emergency Room

Waiting for final discharge, nosebleed has stopped.
This afternoon I was so excited because for the first time Sandy's husband Ken was going to lead us on a new hike that we had never been on. Since I didn't go on the morning hike I was itching to go.
During lunch, as I was finishing my food I noticed that Jan was missing and his plate was sitting next to me unfinished. I thought he must be getting something inside because today it was so nice we were sitting outside at the picnic tables with our friends.
Well, a few minutes later I noticed he was still missing and I got concerned, he always picks up his plates and now I wondered what was wrong. Then I saw him just a short distance away, walking toward the cabin. I called to him, he turned around and signaled me to come with him. It was then that I learned he had a nosebleed, which is not uncommon for him, but this time he couldn't get it to stop.
I followed him to the cabin and got out my first aide book and looked up nosebleeds. It helped me to understand it a little better, but this was no help. It was really flowing and going down the back of his throat - the normal things he's always done weren't helping. Now he was scared. We decided to go to get help.
We ended up right close to camp at the Barton Instacare. We were seen pretty quickly. Jan's blood pressure was out of control, 180. This is probably a contributing factor in what was happening, besides the Plavex and aspirin a day that he takes thinning his blood out. First thing they did was give Jan a pincher thingy for his nose and a pill to get his blood pressure down. The doctor put a sponge in his nostril (ouch Jan said it felt like sandpaper). And guess what, this did not stop it. They wanted us to go to the emergency room. So we paid our $161 for this visit and headed to the hospital.
The Barton Hospital was about 6 miles away and their emergency room was at the back. We got triaged right away, but it took about and hour and a half to be seen by a doctor. People were stacked up. All kinds of problems and so they do the triage and people are not helped in the order they arrive. Well, what Jan ended up needing was Time. Time for it to stop on its own. Time for his blood pressure to come down, which it finally did.
The doctor in emergency took the other sponge out and was going to put in another but all of the sudden the bleeding finally stopped. So he moved us out of that emergency room into a smaller one where we waited one hour to see if it had really stopped for good. This room was colder than the last room, the nurse brought me a warm blanket to wrap up in while we waited.
We got a new nurse after we changed rooms, her name was Jan. So after the doctor visited us for a last check nurse Jan then brought patient Jan's discharge papers, cut off his hospital bracelets and we got the heck outta there after paying our $100 co-pay. The whole ordeal: 12:30 - 6:30 6 hours of fun. NOT. We were late for dinner but the staff at Camp W was nice to leave it out until we arrived at 7pm.

No comments: