Training Plan

Thursday, September 29, 2011

WMC Ghost Falls Hike

Hike destination.
Tonight it was very warm out so our hike leader changed her hike plans to match the weather. Instead of starting from the Orson Smith Trailhead we all got in our cars and drove over behind the Draper Temple to the Coyote Hollow Trailhead where the hike is more shaded.
There were more hikers tonight, but the same dogs as last week. Julie led the hike, the other hikers were Ieta, Julie (2), Rick, John, Valeta and me. I am thinking they are all club members except me.
Julie Kilgore is pointing out on the map where we
were hiking to today.
We started up the Bonneville Shoreline Trail (BST) and shortly we took the Silica Pit cut off and headed for the Canyon Hollow Trail. Nice and shady, we were hiking at a moderate pace. Since we needed the dogs to be on leash for this hike I tried something new and put harnesses on Chip and Tinkerbell so the leash would come off their backs instead of necks. Neither seemed very thrilled with this idea but once we were hiking they acted like they always wore a harness - or at least it wasn't bugging them. Then, since I didn't have a coupler for two dogs I used two shorter fleece leashes and then hooked those on to my flexie lead. It really didn't work well because the leashes were too heavy for the flexie. I ended up holding the two leashes most of the hike. But  since they were attached to the harnesses it still gave me enough room to walk.
Water break for the Shelties. 
The hike was nice. We had mountain bikers coming at us from in front and behind all evening. We encountered no other hikers.
Ghost Falls
Our destination, Ghost Falls, was very beautiful. It is located in a protected water shed area where no dogs are allowed. So Julie tied up her dog Cee Cee, Valeta put Sadie (Yorkie) in her backpack and the group did the short 5 minute hike over to the waterfall to see it. I waited with Chip and Tinkerbell at the start of the trail branch.
In a few minutes the group hiked back and then I left my dogs with Julie (2) and Ieta and I hiked over to Ghost Falls so that I could see the falls too. I took a few pictures and enjoyed a few minutes there.
Just being near Ghost Falls has given Tinkerbell
and Chip haunted eyes
.
With the lateness of the hour, and with it getting darker sooner, Julie felt it best that we return the way we'd come up instead of making the loop. We were doing so much stopping and starting because of all the bikers that we would have had to hike at a really fast pace and then probably still finish in the dark and she didn't want that.
Hike stats:
Distance: 3.09 miles
Elevation gain: 561 feet
Moving time: 57:47

No comments: