Training Plan

Friday, December 10, 2010

Marathon Nutrition & Pace Team

Up early this morning so I decided to read a couple of chapters in Run Your First Marathon by Grete Waitz. For nutrition info they quote author Nancy Clark who recommends "that all marathoners practice both eating and running, since it is through trial and error that you can test when, what, and how much nutrition works best for you. And whatever you consume, your body can also practice digesting it." This sounds pretty funny until I think how picky a digestive track I have without jostling it around while running. Lots of work ahead on my running diet.

The book suggests to learn to run wearing a fanny pack with my own nutrition supplies. At this point in my training I really don't know how long it will take me, but it probably is a good bet I could be out there approximately 6 hours.
So I will need to carefully plan my fuel intake and water intake and most importantly I will need to memorize what miles the porta potties are at!

While studying the website to see race cut-off time, I came across a free running support they offer during the marathon - a Pace Team. So, since I have no one to run with I decided to sign up. Here is what it says about it:

Running with a pace team is a great deal of fun. The mental pressure of calculating your pace is removed, as the leader does that for you; the emotional pressure of staying motivated is removed, as the leader does that for you; and some of the physical stress is reduced, as the pacer will keep you from going out too fast. We have had many runners tell us that they would not have reached their goal without the help of the pace team.

The advantages you gain from running with us can help make a difference in your final result to the point where you can finish faster than if you run the race alone. However, you still do have the biggest part in this happening. If you aren't properly trained, you won't get any magic benefit from running with the pace team. The marathon is still 26.2 miles, a distance that needs to be respected. But if you come to the starting line physically, mentally and emotionally prepared, you can definitely benefit from running with our group

It just sounds more fun every day doesn't it? You wanna do it now too. Tomorrow is 4 miles. Real snowy weather would force me inside but I'm hoping for a break, only need about 50 minutes.

Tip from a pace team member: The training in the difficult part—the Marathon is the reward. Believe in your training and enjoy the Marathon!


No comments: