Training Plan

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Swim Rest Day

Today was swim day and I was actually glad not to be training outside because Utah is getting sNOw again. The roads were pretty slippery as I made my way to the gym at 5am. In the pool by 5:10 and swam 1000 yards, time was 36:30. I wanted to swim more but since this is an easy week in my marathon schedule I stopped at about a half hour and called it good. This will bring my Shark yards total for December to 8,100 which qualifies me for the special drawing to be held this month.

While swimming it came to me that Dianna, one of the Desert Shark club members, put out a challenge for us to swim the English Channel for the month of December: 21 miles or 36,960 yards. Although I will fall short of her challenge I was reflecting on the woman who taught me and my sister Nancy to swim: Greta Anderson, the woman who in 1957 won the first English Channel race and was the first woman to complete five crossing of the English Channel and set speed records in both directions! How cool is that. I remember watching Nancy swim under water with her eyes open and follow Greta around the pool.

A summer goal for me this year is take some lessons in open water (lake) swimming so that I can enter the BAM triathlon.

No comments: