Training Plan

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Core Strength - Get Fully Fit

Are you working on your core? That was the question Stacey had for me last time I went to Muscle Works. Well, sigh, no….my blanket excuse "I can’t do everything." Planks. I don’t like those things. They are hard because my core is weak. I guess that’s the point. And Superman. Sigh. The time I spend on these things now will prevent injury later. Running does not develop strong core strength. No BOGO here.
I just got a copy of the February 2011 Runner’s World. In one article called  Fully Fit the author talks about how running develops one thing, breathing. After her two grueling days of dynamic stretching, strength training, etc. with Olympic coach John Cook the author came out saying she was a runner without strength. A marshmallow.

Now don't jump to conclusions and get the idea I have elite athletic goals, but here is what caught my eye:

 "Developing whole-body strength gives you "pop," or speed, and the strength to summon it in the final stretch of a race, says Cook. It also helps shore up your form, which can protect you from injury."

Protect from injury and have some "pop" at the end of the race, that would be nice. At my age no injury is a secondary goal, my body is already protesting this new lifestyle and I hate to inform it there is going to be more before there is less training. The promise:

"committing just a few minutes a day to some of the following exercises can enhance your speed and shield you from injury."

Here is one exercise from the article, you can see the whole article by clicking here on  Fully Fit

Carioka
1. Stand with feet shoulder-width apart.
2. Lift right knee to waist level at a 45-degree angle.
3. Keeping your knee high, rotate your hip so your knee is straight in front of you.
4. Step your right leg in front of your left.
5. Step to the left with your left foot.
6. Step behind your left leg with your right.
7. Step to the left with your left leg. Repeat the sequence for 20 yards, then change directions. 

2 comments:

Tink said...

huh??? As said by Scooby Doo! I would need to go to a class, Carioka looks confusing.

Marsha said...

Funny. I thought that one exercise looked a lot lot like the country line dancing I use to do. And it had a cool picture. I didn't copy all the exercises to blog, I will bring you a copy. They always show young, skinny tan girls doing the exercises, what's up with that. It would be better if they use male athletes in the demo pictures.