Training Plan

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Run & Bike

Tinkerbell likes to perch herself on the arm of the couch to watch me write. And she talks to me while she is watching. She's not real big on computer time.


Today's workout was so much fun! The day started off a little hard for me .... woke up at 5am since I didn't get ready for training the night before. I waited too late and would rather get up early than stay up late.
In the morning I got up to prepare for running and biking. One of my projects was getting my Garmin to go into bike mode and then also to track bike strokes=calories burned. In trying to do this I messed the Garmin up and all the sudden I had a skier and not a runner. Arrrr. So instead of getting ahead.... you get the picture.
So I switch gears and get bike equipment ready. At 6:30am I discover my bike has 2 flat tires. All our pumps and the air compressor only work with older bike tires and car tires. I have not purchased the small $2 adapter that makes them compatible. Luckily Jan is out of bed by now. We try a few things, then I think of my CO2 cartridge and he inflates my tires with that.
This gives me time to finish all other preparations and then I continue reading in the Garmin manual. I'm sure everyone likes user manuals as much as I do. I finally found the crucial answer to the problem I am having but don't have enough time to fix it before I have to leave to meet the girls at the park.
Cyndie is already there when I arrive and she jumps in the car and helps me with my GPS. We get it set for running again and later figure out how to change it to bike mode.
The weather was pretty cool - we all put on jackets and headed South down the parkway into the wind for our 7 miles. After a technical Gymboss problem everything went smoothly. Lots of greeting other runners on the trail, many whom are friends of my friends. Hugs and encouragement. We (Me, Cyndie, Liz & her sister Danielle) enjoyed the wind at our back on the second half of the run. We did the run 2min / walk 1min. The last half mile Cyndie challenged us to just run - for our fastest Mile7 of the day 11:47. Mile1 12:48  Mile2 12:40  Mile3 12:31  Mile4 12:33  Mile5 12:35  Mile6 13:07. We are getting stronger!
After our run we all got ready for biking. Going north this time, wind at the back. There were quite a few people on the trail and it winds a lot so in order to be safe we rode slower. More friends and one stop to visit. We still got the ride done in an hour. Cyndie pedaled and pedaled and pedaled her mountain bike along the route - the rest of us had road bikes and pedaled and coasted and pedaled and coasted. On the way back we fought the wind, still a very nice ride.
Happy Day! Later that afternoon Cyndie went and bought a nice FELT purple road bike. 

2 comments:

Tink said...

I am so feeling the ride today. I can't wait to try my new bike out. I want to pedal than coast. One more recovery week than some big miles!

Liz said...

I didn't know Tink got a bike. That is AWESOME!