Training Plan

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Marathon Week 20 Run 20

Still smiling after all those miles.
Another personal record - I ran 20 miles today. I have prepared and my body cooperated. So did the weather. Overcast. Cooler in the morning. For the beginning of the run Cyndie dropped us off at the top of the SoJo course in Copperton. She followed us in her car for our first five miles, it was helpful because we could discard clothes and she made it much safer because there was no bike lane or sidewalk for us to run on. This was mostly a downhill course - we ran into West Jordan and took Old Bingham Hwy and then switching to New Bingham Hwy.
We took Grizzley Way and made a restroom stop at Cyndie's home in West Jordan. Wound around through West Jordan near where we use to live on Unita Hills Dr. They were holding a neighborhood run advertised at the Bingham Creek Library where I use to go for books .... saw a few of my former neighbors running - that was fun. We made our way to 7800 South where we headed toward South Jordan. We then took 1300 West past the Jordan River Temple and up a hill.... and stopped at Maverick for the restroom. Then it was on to 10600 South to head for the Jordan River Parkway trail.
Once on the trail we had to make a couple of side jaunts to get enough mileage. Saw the Perkins out on the trail running. Amanda is signed up for the Bryce Canyon Half Marathon on my birthday. We finally reached our 20 mile goal after 4:35:55. Way to go girls! We rock.
Liz, Marsha & Cyndie 15 & 20 Miles We Rock!
Here are the mile stats for the run. A little messed up because I paused my Garmin a couple of times and forgot to restart. Had to get the time from Liz. Mile1 12:09 Mile2 11:57 Mile3 11:47 Mile4 12:11 Mile5 12:01 Mile6 13:18 Mile7 12:57 Mile8 12:52 Mile9 13:32 Mile10 13:10 Mile11 .75 10:25 Mile12 13:38 Mile13 14:17 Mile14 13:23 Mile15 14:03 Mile16 14:01 Mile17 13:51 Mile18 14:14 Mile19 14:52 Mile20 .14 2:21. I am so excited I did it!
What did I test today? Well, new lace job on my shoes. Spent about a half hour Friday with different lacing patterns on my new shoes to relieve the rubbing occurring on the top of my left foot. Yeah it worked! BTW I had my old shoes in Cyndie's car just in case I failed - no way I was going to go through 20 miles with hurting like I did my 18 a couple of weeks ago.
Also tested running with my arm and leg warmers. This worked good and I was happy with my choice to wear them. I discarded the arms about mile 2 or less and legs at mile 5.
Another test - taking Sports Legs a second time during run at around the 2 hour mark. No problems. Hard to tell how much it helps, but it doesn't cause any side effects. 
Put on a lot more Glide and all went well - no chafing. I have definitely decided that I am wearing my pink running skirt for the marathon - discovered it had 2 pockets instead of just one as I was getting ready this morning too. It is super comfortable and puts no stress marks on my waist.
I have also decided on wearing my smaller fuel belt with 2 water bottles. With an extra water bottle holder attached I can slide in two Shot Blok packages and they will stay in the holder. All the GU & Shot Bloks worked great. This is the first time I actually got hungry during the run. Longer amount of time with no actual food beyond GU & Bloks. I should take one Bonk Breaker bar with me on next long run to test. 
I really like my white & pink shirt and it is working fine. I may look for one like Cyndie's that has vent material in the back. It is only going to get warmer by May. I don't think I want to buy a tank top like I was thinking to be cooler and risk so much sun on my shoulders. Even with sunblock that could cause me problems. I need to look before my final long run so I can test the shirt if I find one.
Music. I do need to work on my 26.2 playlist. Need a bit more mellow songs for my first 5-7 miles so I don't run too fast in the beginning down the hill. Even though gravity helps to pull, the faster pace can still zap energy.
A lot more stuff stuff was going on but this post is getting long. 








  

1 comment:

Alicia said...

You look HOT mom!