Training Plan

Monday, April 25, 2011

Ragnar Relay Las Vegas here I come!

Ragnar Relay Overview:
Imagine this...you and 11 of your closest friends running day and night, relay-style, through some of the most scenic terrain North America can muster. Add in some good tunes, a few inside jokes and a mild case of sleep deprivation...and what do you get? Some call it a slumber party without sleep, pillows or deodorant. We call it the Ragnar Relay Series!
Why would I want to do this??? Maybe for the medal. I do like bling. Maybe because I can run with Neal. Maybe because I want that decal for my van like everyone else in town! Maybe I am crazy? A year ago I would have looked at you like - no way I could do that, I can hardly run 3 miles (but I secretly wished I could run)! Or all of the above!!!!!!
Our team captain happens to be an old mission companion of Neal's. He has started a facebook group Ragnar Sin City 2011 so that we can get to know each other since we don't all live near each other. I won't be running with "11 of my closest friends" but they probably will be after 2 days together!
So most important, what Runner would I most like to be. Well, when Neal first called me a couple of weeks ago to ask me I quickly went out to see the runner chart  and what the difficulty of the Las Vegas run legs. Immediately I let him know that I saw at least 3 that I thought I could do in Van 2. Later I looked closer at 4 of the runners in Van 2 - 8, 9, 11 & 12. I do want to enjoy myself.
My first pick, Runner 8. It looks like a challenge, but yet fun. This is so funny to think about now, but I use to wonder why runners didn't think 5K's were all that great. My boss's wife Kelly would say I'm just getting warmed up by the 3 miles and then it is over. Well that has kinda happened with me. I still enjoy my training 3&4 mile runs, but a run now is a little bit longer then that. Funny how perspective changes.
Back to Runner 8. She (lets just assume I get this spot, think positive) will run a total of 14.2 miles. My first leg will be Leg 8 (named for Runner 8 or maybe vise versa) and is 4.6 miles they have labeled "moderate" in difficulty it just has one slight uphill and it is along the highway. Then back in the van I go. Later I would run Leg 20 which is 3.9 miles and "easy," it is through a neighborhood and has a slight downhill to it. Back in the van again. My longest run of the relay would be my last one, Leg 32 a "moderate" difficulty with a distance of 5.7 miles. In this leg I would be running downhill and drop 1000 feet. Seems doable for my abilities.
There is only one catch now. And that is Saints to Sinners. My friend Loni Smith would have to bring that up. I had heard about that before but forgotten it. "Saints to Sinners" is a special medal that I could earn if I ran both the Wasatch Back & Las Vegas Ragnar in the same year. Well I am not entered in the WB but there is an opening on Cyndie's team the Wasatch Walkers. My hesitation is the race is the same day as the Shark Attack Triathlon which I wanted to enter. Choices.
Saints to Sinner medal on right.

  

No comments: