Training Plan

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Notorious

Read an interesting article this morning "Notorious" by Charlie Engle in Runner's World. It is about a 100 mile run in Frozen Head State Park, Tennessee. Since it began in 1986 there have been 700 entrants and only 9 finishers have made the 60 hour cut off. This year they had one. They don't expect you to finish. To even have a chance at an entry is a challenge - the organizer doesn't give out any information on date of race or start time or how to enter. Entry fee: $1.60 and an essay on why you should be allowed to run. Only 35 are chosen to run each year. Here is a website that talks about the Barkley Marathon http://www.mattmahoney.net/barkley/

Why am I telling you about this race? And especially Charlie's article. Well, because it's about trying hard things. Not always sticking with what you will be successful at. How that builds your character in a unique way. Sometimes it's only what you learn about yourself from the attempt. Don't get me wrong, I like to succeed. I am more competitive than I will admit to. But I am trying some new things in my life right now that I may not be successful at. But I'm trying - and I think that is what is important. And I will do my best to be successful. And if I never try I will always wonder....  

No comments: