Training Plan

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Myofascial Release

I am always looking for ways to keep an older body functioning smoothly so I can keep it doing the activities I have planned for it. ☺ While looking at an alternative medical facility website Pioneer Comprehensive Medical for Jan something caught my eye. In this clinic they have a PT who does Myofascial Release. I wondered what that was. So I clicked and read on.

What is fascia?
Fascia is the tough connective tissue that creates a three-dimensional web that extends without interruption from head to toe. Fascia surrounds and infuses every muscle, bone, nerve, blood vessel and organ, all the way down to the cellular level. The fascial system can effect every system and function in the body- muscular, cellular, neurological, metabolic, etc. The white, glistening fibers you see when you pull a piece of meat apart or when you pull chicken skin away is fascia. 
What is fascia's role?
The fascial system generally supports, stabilizes and cushions. Fascia creates separation between vessels, organs, bones and muscles. Fascia creates space through which delicate nerves, blood vessels and fluids pass.
What are fascial restrictions?
Through trauma, repetitive motions, repetitive positions and the inflammatory process, fascia can become solidified and shorten. Fascia will thicken or reinforce in these areas of stress and, in turn, shorten the connective tissue. This shortening or thickening is what is referred to as a fascial restriction. Fascial restrictions have the capability of putting 2,000 pounds of pressure per square inch in a restricted area. WOW. POWERFUL TISSUE. That pressure can compromise any system in the body, causing pain and dysfunction.

I immediately thought of two friends I have who are currently suffering from plantar fascitis. I went out to another link to check out John F. Barnes, PT who developed Myofascial Release (MFR). Do I have anything going on where this could be of benefit to me? or is there something that might help my family? Ahhhh. A list of problems MFR can help. There I am #2 in the alphabetical list Bladder Problems (Urgency, Frequency, Incontinence, Overactive Bladder, Leakage).
What is it?

Partial or complete loss of bladder control when coughing or sneezing (yeah if you know me when I cough my hand is not heading for my mouth!), feeling the need to frequently urinate, or inability to reach the toilet in time.

How can MFR help?

MFR decreases the tightness and spasm in the pelvic floor muscles and tissues surrounding the bladder to regain normal function.

"The Myofascial Release therapy has been the final solution for my bladder leaking problem. I had this problem since I had my first child (almost 3 years ago) and thanks to the Myofascial Release therapy it has been resolved."
Edith, Illinois 

Well I don't really like to talk about personal, embarrassing stuff but I need help. My long range plan was trying surgery at the end of the year to attempt to correct my problem. Surgery or MFR. Well I am not a surgery kinda gal so I am all for the alternative. And there are a lot of other problems on the list my family suffers from. Check the list out, you may find the help you've been looking for.

Brendan Bagley, PT

So guess what. I call for an appointment. I get one the same day, 4pm. I go. Brendan Bagley did the MFR on me for the bladder. This isn't a one time fix, it depends on my body, but I can feel the work he did and I will be going back. He also gave me some tips on the old "keggle muscle" to help. He explained how the MFR could help the bladder. I didn't actually know how the bladder is suppose to work when you cough. My bladder, which is tight after being traumatized by 3 births does not expand and get larger when I cough. It stays rigid and therefore lets urine leak out when put under pressure. The MFR will soften and lengthen the fascia so soon when I cough the bladder will expand and be able to throw the urine back and hold it instead of letting it leak out. When this happens (think positive now) I will have to retrain my hand to cover my mouth. ☺
     
   

No comments: