Training Plan

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Cyndie and I Ride the Dimple Dell Loop

Today was a non-run day. Also known as cross-training. Of course, now that I think of it since right now I am no longer marathon bound, I now have to do a lot of cross-training because Cyndie has me scheduled for lots of different events this summer.

As I am writing this I am listening to the song “The Climb.” Well, that is what today on the bike was all about. I was able to get off work for a couple of hours to join Canyon Bicycles all girl Tuesday ride. I looked the map over, the email said just one good short climb. I thought as we went up the hill on 12600 that I had it in the bag, soon after leaving the store and the climb was done.

Cyndie and I can laugh now, but there were several short steep climbs during the ride and several long gradual climbs. I was at the tail end of the riders, yeah just me and the second ride leader who stays at the back with the slow person. Like having my own bike tour guide. But it was meant to be. On places where I rode slow (remember I just did a marathon 3 days ago) she rode along side of me and we talked. We got on the subject of triathlons. She was talking about her and Sharma’s experience in running and swimming. Said she couldn’t figure out why the swimming wasn’t going so good, she had done some swimming in college. I said, “Are you holding your breath or blowing out the air in the water.” You must have guessed, she was holding it. Wrong. That is what I paid $50 to learn I was doing incorrectly. Anyway, she was very happy. Like I mentioned, meant to be. Actually that is what she said. I was feeling bad she had to go so slow with me, but happy not to be left behind.

And where was Cyndie? Well, she wasn’t at the front of the group, but she does have very strong leg muscles and can bike faster than me. Plus she has a lot of mountain bike riding experience - thus the stronger legs and more bike smarts. She was still extremely sore from the Ogden Half Marathon on Saturday - she’d run most of it at quite a quick pace and because of having a chest cold for two weeks and still under its influence she was just plain worn out. Hopefully soon she will be back to full health.

The “Dimple Dell Loop” as they call it, when you come to the top guess what is after going up? Yes, the downhill. Now we get to my fear of biking, going fast. Well, maybe not fast....but fast and downhill. I fell as a teen on a bike going down a steep hill in Thousand Oaks, CA. I can’t remember the exact circumstances, but I don’t think it was my bike and we were visiting some former neighbors. Loose gravel caused the fall. Dang if it didn’t leave me with a little fear. Anyway, later that day Cyndie sent me a text “There was a downhill section that I was going 37 miles and hour that was scary fast.” I think I will be needing brakes more often than most riders. I was using them like crazy.
It was a nice fun hard ride, here are the stats:



Split
Time
Distance
Avg Speed
Summary01:22:0013.9410.2
100:08:291.007.1
200:05:411.0010.5
300:07:531.007.6
400:05:441.0010.4
500:05:471.0010.4
600:06:301.009.2
700:09:461.006.1
800:05:391.0010.6
900:04:421.0012.7
1000:05:511.0010.2
1100:03:221.0017.8
1200:04:091.0014.4
1300:03:481.0015.7
1400:04:310.9412.4

1 comment:

Tink said...

Yeah this was a crazy hard ride. I know I tell you I'm not afraid of speed, but even that was a little to fast for me. You forgot to mention how strong you were and rode up all the hills like a champion. I only did 13.1 miles and I got off and walked twice the hills were just to hard for me. Those ladies were fast I could not keep up with them.