Training Plan

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Free Run Clinic

This evening the Desert Sharks put on a free run clinic at the Jordan High School in Sandy. I can always use help, free is good, so I decided to go. The instructor was delayed due to a misunderstanding about the clinic location. While we were waiting I visited with another shark (who also does agility-she had heard of me) and when it still hadn't started I decided to run my "20 minutes" I needed to stay on marathon schedule.
They have a nice track there so round and round and round I ran. On the Internet download it looks about as boring as was to run it. Well it wasn't that bad.... its just that I've gotten use to going somewhere. Mile1 11:43 Mile2 12:17 and then some .56 7:37.
The instructor finally showed up, he was very interesting. Thomas Miller, the author of Programmed to Run. Tom taught us about the bio-mechanics of running - pretty quick because we were running out of daylight. He explained that we need to lean a bit forward. And one most interesting thing to me .... arm swing. Mostly behind the body not in front, the arm swing controls how fast the legs move. I'd never heard this. Tom filmed us running, evaluated us. If I get  a chance to take a lesson from him I know it would help. First, I will read his book and practice the things I learned. 
The running mantras he taught us, "Touch down softly - float over lightly - reach back - extend off - Fly, fly, fly, flyyyyyyyy!" "Hands up - elbows back - chest forward - Flyyyyyy!"

No comments: