Training Plan

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Moment

I really like this book, The NON Runner's Marathon Guide For Women by Dawn Dais. Today I wanted to record some things she has to say about the moment, you know, that one when I cross the finish line of the marathon. Well, actually it is more than that, which is one reason for this blog.... to enjoy more than just the finish line these next five months.

"It is important to acknowledge what you're accomplishing with every individual mile you finish along the way. Like everything in life, it's easy to allow the moments of your training to pass you by without really appreciating them."

"Most of the things you learn about yourself, your limits, and your abilities won't come during the actual marathon. They'll come during less-obvious times, times that might be overlooked because you're focusing so intently on the marathon itself. They'll come when you lace up and hit the trail, even though the lacing up itself is enough to aggravates your poor sore muscles. They will be the times you exuberantly proclaim "I only have to run nine miles this weekend!" when a few weeks earlier the mere thought of a nine-mile run sent you whimpering into the fetal position. They'll come at times when you run through pouring rain, sideways wind, and scorching heat, because you made a commitment and you intend keeping it, regardless of Mother Nature's rather mean-spirited sense of humor."

And if you have been reading my blog you know I have experienced Mother Nature humor. Snow, wind, cold, ice packed trails... (of course what did I expect when I signed up for a marathon that would require winter training) And then I finally get sun and we get a "red burn" inversion day and have to run indoors - in circles. Yes, Mother Nature is funny like that.

"It's in these little moments when you'll realize, as many a profound person has observed, that sometimes the journey is worth more than the destination."

Complaining about the red burn day and the Olympic Oval, not really. I met a new friend and she has been gift. Someone who has already done what I want to do. Thank you for the red burn day.

"The marathon-training journey is about a lot more than merely finishing one (very long) race. It's about getting to the race; it's about challenging yourself in ways that seem obscene to any sane person; it's about coming up with unique ways to treat various rashes caused by spandex."

"So do yourself a favor. After you finish a long run, and before you look at your training calendar to see what mileage lies ahead, take a moment to bask in the glory of getting one step closer to your overall goal. (That goal being, of course, not dying while training for a marathon.) Realize that each run is a goal itself, so in essence you cross a goal off your list every time you kick off those sweaty running shoes. Take a moment after each run to cool down and acknowledge what your body has accomplished."

I so did this last week after my 8 miles. (30 laps) I was one lap behind Cyndie who had done a warm-up lap before my arrival at the Olympic Oval. After running 29 laps together she waited and when I came around for my last lap she cheered and ran alongside getting me to run a little faster at my "finish line" for that day. Thanks Cyndie. It was a great accomplishment for me. I had never run that far before.

Friends and family compliments help a runner to realize they are accomplishing something pretty amazing. As Dawn said, "About that time, I started becoming a little more impressed with myself, and not only with what I was attempting to do, but with what I'd already done." "...If you acknowledge all that you've accomplished in your previous weeks it will help you realize that you are completely capable of tackling what comes next."

"So go my little runners! Go embrace the moments of your life! Run in slow motion (or if you're like me, just run), give people high-fives...Celebrate what you're accomplishing as you accomplish it."

No comments: