Training Plan

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Training Run with Triathlon Coach

Today I did my run workout under the supervision of my triathlon coach, Dave, from In-Training. That is a picture of him to the right. Today we met at the track of the Juan Diego Catholic High School in Draper. I wanted him to watch me run to check to see if I was doing anything wrong while running. Come to find out I was doing a couple of things wrong.
First, the way I swing my arms. I was swinging them across my body a little, crossing the center. He showed me how to move them front to back, kind of like a locomotive. That will give me more power instead of making my body sway side to side. The second thing I was doing involves posture. Yeah, we all know mine is bad. So what he said was I need to lean forward from my ankles, not my waist. So basically all I have to do is remember to stand up straight and as I do so I naturally lean from the correct location, ankles.
As he was evaluating my running he taught me what to do to increase my speed. He had me run the track for a mile at my normal pace. Since a coach was watching me I seemed to run a little faster than my normal pace. So first mile pace 11:15. Second mile he wanted me to go faster. It was about 10:30. The last mile I was suppose to go faster and I did, 10:15. So what did he and I learn from this exercise? I have a better foot strike when I run faster than slower. My foot is on the ground less time and at a better angle.
Now obviously I can't keep up a pace like that for 26.2 miles, but Dave suggested that on my mid-week running days, I try to incorporate this technique because it will help me get stronger for the long run. He said to just run my normal pace on Saturdays. He said my normal pace will improve over time. Also, if it made me finish the 26.2 say 20 minutes sooner, who wouldn't like that!
So today, 3 miles in 34:25. And that is with two talking breaks in between the miles. The Garmin downloaded map is pretty funny, you can sure see I was running in circles.
BTW this track has resident geese. And those geese hang out in the middle of the track, and ON THE TRACK. Yes, they poop big and a lot. It was a very tricky obstacle course. Now you are even more impressed with my time.

No comments: