Training Plan

Friday, February 11, 2011

Brain Respiration - Versatilizing

I am still reading that amazing yoga book right now, Human Technology A Toolkit For Authentic Living by Ilchi Lee. I am now on the chapters about Brain Respiration (BR). Why do I want to talk about this? Because I gaining a better understanding of why my newest “self” project is the marathon. Oh yes, I recognize what I do. I've never picked a challenge quite so physically demanding though. And at my age! Getting ready for a marathon, when done right, is filled with lots of changes. And I am uncomfortable with change. Sounds funny, but I am. With this marathon I recognize some changes will be easy, some harder. But it is a change I have asked for and that  is under my control and hopefully I will learn and grow from. I’m looking for something from myself. I get that. I hope I find it this time so I don't do this to me again. lol. It could happen.
Quoting from the book: So what is BR?  "It consists of a variety of physical, emotional, and mental exercises, progressing through five stages: Sensitizing, Versatilizing, Refreshing, Integrating, and Mastering." One comment on the Versatilizing stage is what I want to touch on.
"Our preconceptions prevent us from being flexible in thought."
My preconception in this case is that I have always felt I couldn't run distance. As I talked about it when I started my blog last year, I didn't pass the presidents physical fitness 1 mile run in grade school. Passed all other requirements. So now at 55 I am going to prove to myself I can run. Makes sense doesn't it. Actually, I already have by now, but since I am already signed up for the race I'll finish what I have started.
So more about the BR:
"Brain refreshing can be divided into two parts. In the first, we free our minds of negative preconceptions and unwanted memories. Second we fortify ourselves against the influence of destructive information."
"When we allow a preconception to rule our behavior, we are actually allowing our past to control our present and future."
"The past exists in the present only as a piece of information.  When we realize that the past is only information, we will have taken our first step towards freeing ourselves from it."

I will be doing the specific Human Technology exercises to help me with this, like most people I have more than one preconception hanging around in my brain.

No comments: