Training Plan

Friday, February 18, 2011

Staying Injury Free

Well, this is what it is coming down to for me with the increased miles. Actually it has been like this all along but I have been using Stacey at Muscle Works to deep tissue massage my muscles into compliance. But as much as I want to just RUN on my weekday runs, I am beginning to feel like I should also do the run / walk method on these days. Age? Probably. Because I did choose a longer 25 week program to 26.2.
I am starting to see things I thought could only happen to “real runners” such as toenail problems. I don’t want to list my aches and pains. They are happening, I am concerned, but I am trying to stay on top of it all. Hence the yoga, the extra massage therapist, using the stem trainer (I can talk about that gizmo Jan bought a few years ago at a different time, right now I am in the testing stage - now you are curious and will want to read my blog later), switching to the Galloway run / walk, going to the roller clinic to name just a few things.
Jeff’s guide:
Run at a gentle pace-and insert walk breaks from the beginning
Rest sufficiently after each workout 
Increase gradually, and reduce intensity of the longer run
Take 48 hours between runs
Avoid a long stride
Ok now I need to take note. Here is something I was looking for but didn’t know it. And why I check out all these books and catalog what I read for my use and your benefit too if you choose. 
“Do the “toe squincher” exercise to prevent plantar fasciia: This exercise can be done 10-30 times a day, on both feet (one at a time). Point toes and contract the muscles in the foot, until the foot cramps (only a few seconds). This strengthens the many little muscles in the foot that can provide a platform of support.”
I add S T R E T C H sufficiently also. Jeff doesn’t believe in stretching. But I don’t do mine out on the road. I do them at home and as instructed for the specific problems I am having.
So I’m going to keep doing my best to stay InJuRy FrEE!

No comments: